"The old formats are dead! Long live the old formats!"

We have been awaiting the death of movies, film, flickers, the studios, for decades now, but looking at the boxoffice figures for 2009 we can see that it was yet another stellar year for the industry. The thing that continues to change is not the appetite of the movie going audience but how they "see" film, how they view movies not only in the theaters but at home as well. The 2009 holiday shopping season saw the rise, not only in the number of advertisments but in sheer tonnage moved out the door, of Blu-ray high definition movie players and large flatscreen tvs, showing once again that if you make quality goods affordable to the middle class, technology, and peoples tastes, will change.

I am happy, once again, for the change. I like to stay a trend or two behind the bulk of humanity. I like to catch up after the parade has passed and reap the benefits of the discard pile. Right now is a grand time to be a film collector. VHS tapes for fifty cents a throw, pawn shop DVD's going for little more than a buck, second hand hi-fi players for under ten dollars and used dvd players for less than the price of a movie ticket.


For the time being I am not too worried about the imminent demise of Hollywood Video or Blockbuster rental stores. I am not struggling with the high cost of retail films or outrageous ticket prices at the door. I have my own "movies on demand" system going on at home 24/7 and have hundreds of movie titles to choose from. Let it rain, let it pour. The Futon Cinema is always ready to screen something new or old, and baby, if I haven't watched it before, it's all new to me.

Action!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Rio


So, what was it that got me going on Rio? Was it realizing that it was summertime down there after facing yet another dreary grey Pacific Northwest winter day up here? Was it hearing Stan Getz et al knock out their classic sublime and atmospheric song Girl from Ipanema once again? Maybe it was the almost back to back experience of viewing of City of God and Elite Squad, which made me wonder why the hell would anybody want to live there, let alone visit the place.

But then there were the Saint's pre-Lenten Superbowl victory parades in New Orleans last week, which jump started Fat Tuesday in the Big Easy . I mean, who wouldn't like to go down there and do Mardi Gras at least once in their lifetime? Then, to take that to a higher and more psychedelic level, who wouldn't want to take in Rio's Carnival and experience to Fat Tuesday in a completely wild and reckless new way?

I suppose I could get out my Janis print of Black Orpheus and some sort of vicarious experience instead , but I can only see getting so much out of that. Maybe I should research this further, check into air fare, hotel costs, all that. Or maybe I need to check out my homegrown U S of A version first. Or maybe I should just forget about it, pop on my Verve compliation of Antonio Carlos Jobim classics, mix up a fruity tropical drink and chill out, groove on the grey wonders of our Pac NW maritime weather, forego the street crowds, the hustlers, the long flight and airport strip checks, all that.

Naw, I would rather be bold and witty and brave like Bronques over at Last Night's Party dot com and groove on the wonders of night life of Carnaval down in Rio. A man's gotta dream. Maybe I should start brushing up on my Portuguese just in case. Although I am sure that a hearty "WOO HOO!" is the same in any language!

Action!


Rio Carnival 2010:

http://www.rio-carnival.net/

Girl from Ipanema Tom Jobim and Joao Gilberto Reunited: video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmV0TcTNJ3o

Film review: Elite Squad:

http://www.allmovie.com/work/elite-squad-426475

Film review: City of God:

http://www.allmovie.com/work/city-of-god-265461

Film review: Black Orpheus:

http://www.allmovie.com/work/black-orpheus-5910


NY Times article: cracking down on Rio's beaches:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/10/world/americas/10rio.html

No comments: