"The old formats are dead! Long live the old formats!"

We have been awaiting the death of movies, film, flickers, the studios, for decades now, but looking at the boxoffice figures for 2009 we can see that it was yet another stellar year for the industry. The thing that continues to change is not the appetite of the movie going audience but how they "see" film, how they view movies not only in the theaters but at home as well. The 2009 holiday shopping season saw the rise, not only in the number of advertisments but in sheer tonnage moved out the door, of Blu-ray high definition movie players and large flatscreen tvs, showing once again that if you make quality goods affordable to the middle class, technology, and peoples tastes, will change.

I am happy, once again, for the change. I like to stay a trend or two behind the bulk of humanity. I like to catch up after the parade has passed and reap the benefits of the discard pile. Right now is a grand time to be a film collector. VHS tapes for fifty cents a throw, pawn shop DVD's going for little more than a buck, second hand hi-fi players for under ten dollars and used dvd players for less than the price of a movie ticket.


For the time being I am not too worried about the imminent demise of Hollywood Video or Blockbuster rental stores. I am not struggling with the high cost of retail films or outrageous ticket prices at the door. I have my own "movies on demand" system going on at home 24/7 and have hundreds of movie titles to choose from. Let it rain, let it pour. The Futon Cinema is always ready to screen something new or old, and baby, if I haven't watched it before, it's all new to me.

Action!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Spurting geysers of blood




Okay, it's all about highly functioning squirting squibs here, folks. Flying feet and detached CGI body parts. Five pointed stars falling out of the night sky like rain. It was all about new and old technologies, bladed weapons vs gun powder fueled ones, one pitted against the other, to see which one was better in amassing the highest body count possible. It was sock choppy fanboy dream, a mother's worst nightmare, a true cinematic bloodbath set to some sort of ancient Asian balletic score that only true martial artists could hear or truly understand.

What I know is that when Uncle Max and I hit up the old mouldering movie palaces on Broadway in LA we didn't come across kung fu action flicks like this. Even Tarentino's Kill Bill opus seems restrained in comparison, a regular freakin' Kurosawa world cinema classic, when put alongside McTiegue's relentless, pulse pounding, bodies-being-pounded to smithereens action fest.

Was it good? Was it recommendable? Was it something that I plan on sharing with Toy Soldier Boy in the immediate future, first-person, video wargamer that he is? Yes, yes and no. A good father knows his children's limitations.

I suppose that I can be thankful for having put this grand piece of popcorn wildness off for the safety, comfort and high control standards of the Futon Cinema. Instead of dragging my sensitive, film school bound oldest to see it, he convinced me to check out The Fantastic Mr Fox. Instead of explosions, mayhem and body parts I got hyperkinetic patrons in constant motion in the movie house. Instead of acrobatics, bombs and a beautiful onscreen babe I got to see kids running all around the theater and a two free tickets from the boxoffice to make up for a less than wonderful screening moment and a lack of parental control.

My Film School Bound Boy pulled together a tongue in cheek martial arts film for his art school recently, but I am glad that we missed this one for inspiration. I loved it, want to see it again and thought that all the cinematic wildness was just fine. Maybe I needed it, especially after all those sensitive art house films I've been watching lately. Maybe a little bit of adreneline fueled craziness was a good thing.

Or not. Who cares? It wasn't Fellini, but it was just what the doctor ordered. Check in it out. Ninja Assassin. Wow!

Action!

Movie review: Ninja Assassin:
http://www.allmovie.com/work/ninja-assassin-431634/review

No comments: