"The old formats are dead! Long live the old formats!"

We have been awaiting the death of movies, film, flickers, the studios, for decades now, but looking at the boxoffice figures for 2009 we can see that it was yet another stellar year for the industry. The thing that continues to change is not the appetite of the movie going audience but how they "see" film, how they view movies not only in the theaters but at home as well. The 2009 holiday shopping season saw the rise, not only in the number of advertisments but in sheer tonnage moved out the door, of Blu-ray high definition movie players and large flatscreen tvs, showing once again that if you make quality goods affordable to the middle class, technology, and peoples tastes, will change.

I am happy, once again, for the change. I like to stay a trend or two behind the bulk of humanity. I like to catch up after the parade has passed and reap the benefits of the discard pile. Right now is a grand time to be a film collector. VHS tapes for fifty cents a throw, pawn shop DVD's going for little more than a buck, second hand hi-fi players for under ten dollars and used dvd players for less than the price of a movie ticket.


For the time being I am not too worried about the imminent demise of Hollywood Video or Blockbuster rental stores. I am not struggling with the high cost of retail films or outrageous ticket prices at the door. I have my own "movies on demand" system going on at home 24/7 and have hundreds of movie titles to choose from. Let it rain, let it pour. The Futon Cinema is always ready to screen something new or old, and baby, if I haven't watched it before, it's all new to me.

Action!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Westerns in the rearview

Underrated, lyrical, sweet and pretty much the most charming Western film in Sam Peckinpah's canon of work. He went over budget, he shot too much film, he pissed off Warner Brothers and never worked for them again. Due to his drinking and wild man ways he missed a chance to direct Jeremiah Johnson and possibly Deliverance, but no matter, those films went off and found good directors to helm them. Instead this little fable found itself wedged inbetween two massively critical pieces of film, The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs, two hyper-violent pics that sealed Sam's fate as an artist who knew his way around operatic, slow motion bloodshed. But as it was pointed out in the Peckinpah biography If They Move...Kill Them!, this was one of Sam's favorites and now I can see why. It took me thirty five years to find it and screen it..it was worth the wait. I must say that no matter how much I will always cherish Peckinpah's Cross of Iron, The Getaway and Junior Bonner, no matter how much I rever Sam's Wild Bunch, Major Dundee and Straw Dogs for their artistic excellence, I think that this will film will always be the film that says to me that Sam Peckinpah was truly one of the greats, a grand balanced filmmaker and one hell of a man.

Action!

NY Times review: The Ballad of Cable Hogue:

Lamb Arts: great original artistic visions based on Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch :

No comments: