"The old formats are dead! Long live the old formats!"

We have been awaiting the death of movies, film, flickers, the studios, for decades now, but looking at the boxoffice figures for 2009 we can see that it was yet another stellar year for the industry. The thing that continues to change is not the appetite of the movie going audience but how they "see" film, how they view movies not only in the theaters but at home as well. The 2009 holiday shopping season saw the rise, not only in the number of advertisments but in sheer tonnage moved out the door, of Blu-ray high definition movie players and large flatscreen tvs, showing once again that if you make quality goods affordable to the middle class, technology, and peoples tastes, will change.

I am happy, once again, for the change. I like to stay a trend or two behind the bulk of humanity. I like to catch up after the parade has passed and reap the benefits of the discard pile. Right now is a grand time to be a film collector. VHS tapes for fifty cents a throw, pawn shop DVD's going for little more than a buck, second hand hi-fi players for under ten dollars and used dvd players for less than the price of a movie ticket.


For the time being I am not too worried about the imminent demise of Hollywood Video or Blockbuster rental stores. I am not struggling with the high cost of retail films or outrageous ticket prices at the door. I have my own "movies on demand" system going on at home 24/7 and have hundreds of movie titles to choose from. Let it rain, let it pour. The Futon Cinema is always ready to screen something new or old, and baby, if I haven't watched it before, it's all new to me.

Action!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Cornucopia of film


It wasn't enough that Hollywood Video decided to go out of business and had to sell off all their titles. That act of contrition left me hurtin' and outrageously broke, all that chasing down of titles up and down the coast and all over the Northwest, all those well thought out price concious sales, taking each and every store in the country running down their inventory one by one, customers wiping out rare and special titles at any given price, leaving all too many at lower and ever lower prices until I found myself going back for more and more stock that I either didn't have, passed over at higher prices or stuff I just plain didn't see before.

So, there's that, the passing of Hollywood and the loading up of my cinema larder. Not that THAT hasn't been going on for years thanks to Goodwill and all the regional pawn shops. Yeah, thank you, God of Flickers. Yes, I was and am a happy man. Now, just when I am overloaded and somewhat satiated, with flicks piled up all around the house, they both lower their prices on films. Fifty cents a throw for tapes, two bucks for a DVD, and, if I am so inclined and want to find titles on Blu-ray for my kids, I can get those for ten dollars a throw or less.

I am sitting on shipper box after banana box filled to the brim with movies, quite a few of which I have never seen before, only read about or heard about or was just intrigued by the jacket art and blurb. And then, just when you would think it was safe to settle in and watch a couple movies a night at home what happens? I suddenly have free access to the whole local movie house chain I volunteer for! I have to say that that last part is an outrage! Don't they know I just don't have time for new films when I have all that old stuff to watch? Damn, just when I thought I was going to get ahead of the game.

I know one thing I have to do and need to do it soon, if anything for the sake of posterity and insurance claims and that's to do a thorough inventory of my stock, type up a list of all the titles I have, if anything just so I can go against the 1001 Movies I Must Watch Before I Die, or whatever the title of that book is called. I know I have quite a few to catch up on, even more to watch again. If that were the only thing I ever had to do in this world I would be happy, but man, a guy has to earn a living...

Oh, okay, there we go! Roger Ebert, old buddy, move on over or at least train me to follow up in your footsteps or something! My heart and my pocket book are in the right place! I must put all those movies, new, old and upcoming, to good use! Oh like, maybe, watch them? Okay, well, I have time for at least a couple flicks tonight...the line up for this evening are Lumet's Night Falls on Manhattan and Eric Red's horror fest Body Parts. Why I am not watching the recently purchased Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity or the Roger Corman like, early Jack Nicholson biker flick Rebel Rousers is beyond me. Oh well, there's always tomorrow morning!

Action!

No comments: