"The old formats are dead! Long live the old formats!"

We have been awaiting the death of movies, film, flickers, the studios, for decades now, but looking at the boxoffice figures for 2009 we can see that it was yet another stellar year for the industry. The thing that continues to change is not the appetite of the movie going audience but how they "see" film, how they view movies not only in the theaters but at home as well. The 2009 holiday shopping season saw the rise, not only in the number of advertisments but in sheer tonnage moved out the door, of Blu-ray high definition movie players and large flatscreen tvs, showing once again that if you make quality goods affordable to the middle class, technology, and peoples tastes, will change.

I am happy, once again, for the change. I like to stay a trend or two behind the bulk of humanity. I like to catch up after the parade has passed and reap the benefits of the discard pile. Right now is a grand time to be a film collector. VHS tapes for fifty cents a throw, pawn shop DVD's going for little more than a buck, second hand hi-fi players for under ten dollars and used dvd players for less than the price of a movie ticket.


For the time being I am not too worried about the imminent demise of Hollywood Video or Blockbuster rental stores. I am not struggling with the high cost of retail films or outrageous ticket prices at the door. I have my own "movies on demand" system going on at home 24/7 and have hundreds of movie titles to choose from. Let it rain, let it pour. The Futon Cinema is always ready to screen something new or old, and baby, if I haven't watched it before, it's all new to me.

Action!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Confess


It wasn't just about me and my needs. There was a bit of altrusism there, really. But still, it was an incredibly selfish outlay of cash. How nice!

Ok, what I didn't buy was the new fridge and a stove that might have helped move along the sale of my house.
I didn't buy a Disneyland package deal for me and the kids from my local travel agent.
I didn't buy x-amount of cinderblock to replace railroad ties rotting alongside my patio.
Frankly, I didn't do alot of things. I passed up the opportunity to lay down carpet and linoleum, to buy new bathroom fixtures or a new bedframe or springy new mattresses. I certainly didn't get the new Samsung widescreen television that I was promised, nor did I take a personal holiday in Mexico as much as I could have used one.

For what I spent I could have upgraded the rims and tires on my car, jumped on a plane and taken in gay Paree. I suppose I could have had a really nice time down in LA, seen friends, eaten large, done the grand tour, but then again, that's what I promised myself when the house sold. I suppose it might sell someday but that someday will have to wait for after summer vacation.

What I did do, though, with that grand of mostly plastic cash, was blow it on close to four hundred Hollywood Video catalog titles, mostly old, quite a few foreign, largely award winners, some cult, alot classic, some cheese, most of which fed some sort of jones that I had burning in me throughout the winter of 2010, one that mandated that I had to close the loop on 24/7 film access. Screw Redbox, I wanted a solid catalog at my fingertips.

I could have done a lot of things but instead I helped out Hollywood Video in it's race to beat the clock on it's bankruptcy proceedings. Instead of buying a sailboat or seeing the world in real time I took it upon myself to pad my back room with several large cardboard boxes of dvds. Instead of going out and consuming calories in some swanky pub, instead of blowing gas on long distance drives, instead of expanding my world the exists outside my walls I took in a larger film world instead. Truly? My plan, my wildness, my foolhardy purchasing added to the classic film collection I plan on passing along to my film school bound kid. Blame it on something. How about 1001 Films To See Before You Die? Yeah, that'll do.

I didn't quite make it to Cannes this year, but I did bag an awful lot of films that screened there one time or another. You know what? I'm happy. Damn the ursurous plastic rates, screen it!

Action!

No comments: