"The old formats are dead! Long live the old formats!"

We have been awaiting the death of movies, film, flickers, the studios, for decades now, but looking at the boxoffice figures for 2009 we can see that it was yet another stellar year for the industry. The thing that continues to change is not the appetite of the movie going audience but how they "see" film, how they view movies not only in the theaters but at home as well. The 2009 holiday shopping season saw the rise, not only in the number of advertisments but in sheer tonnage moved out the door, of Blu-ray high definition movie players and large flatscreen tvs, showing once again that if you make quality goods affordable to the middle class, technology, and peoples tastes, will change.

I am happy, once again, for the change. I like to stay a trend or two behind the bulk of humanity. I like to catch up after the parade has passed and reap the benefits of the discard pile. Right now is a grand time to be a film collector. VHS tapes for fifty cents a throw, pawn shop DVD's going for little more than a buck, second hand hi-fi players for under ten dollars and used dvd players for less than the price of a movie ticket.


For the time being I am not too worried about the imminent demise of Hollywood Video or Blockbuster rental stores. I am not struggling with the high cost of retail films or outrageous ticket prices at the door. I have my own "movies on demand" system going on at home 24/7 and have hundreds of movie titles to choose from. Let it rain, let it pour. The Futon Cinema is always ready to screen something new or old, and baby, if I haven't watched it before, it's all new to me.

Action!

Monday, May 24, 2010

A lasting lacross moment



It was an epic moment, one that I only saw clearly my mind's eye the next morning when I awoke. That Saturday I was too caught up, enmeshed in the moment, standing there under the spreading whatever kind of tree it was, dark clouds heavy and horizontal over the field, cold rain coming down ceaselessly, snow spitting down lightly at first then relentlessly, watching that boy of mine along with teammates totally kicking their opponents collective asses in the final match of a weeklong tournament, tallying up a final win out of a long spring season fraught with few wins and many losses, I was a proud, wet, cold and soaked through papa, but not near as cold and soaked through as those young warriors were who were duking it out on the lacrosse field for honor and glory. I saw my boy for the first time as a young man that day, no longer the young lad on the floor playing with his toy soldiers but as a young hairy chested soon to be hombre who was more than happy to tell me all about his dreams about going airborne or being a Navy SEAL after graduation. Sigh.

I stood there watching the water come off the field in buckets as those kids hit the ground in pursuit of a win and a dream and thought, much later, of that final battle scene in The Seven Samurai. I will forever and always think of that day, of those boys in the midst of their very real and epic "battle", every time I go to watch that film from here on out. I have seen Kurosawa's masterpiece a couple dozen times or more but never have I seen that final scene reenacted or lived so purely or realistically as I did that day. No blood was shed but man, those kids had heart! Kurosawa would have been proud of their warrior spirit!

Action!

No comments: