"The old formats are dead! Long live the old formats!"

We have been awaiting the death of movies, film, flickers, the studios, for decades now, but looking at the boxoffice figures for 2009 we can see that it was yet another stellar year for the industry. The thing that continues to change is not the appetite of the movie going audience but how they "see" film, how they view movies not only in the theaters but at home as well. The 2009 holiday shopping season saw the rise, not only in the number of advertisments but in sheer tonnage moved out the door, of Blu-ray high definition movie players and large flatscreen tvs, showing once again that if you make quality goods affordable to the middle class, technology, and peoples tastes, will change.

I am happy, once again, for the change. I like to stay a trend or two behind the bulk of humanity. I like to catch up after the parade has passed and reap the benefits of the discard pile. Right now is a grand time to be a film collector. VHS tapes for fifty cents a throw, pawn shop DVD's going for little more than a buck, second hand hi-fi players for under ten dollars and used dvd players for less than the price of a movie ticket.


For the time being I am not too worried about the imminent demise of Hollywood Video or Blockbuster rental stores. I am not struggling with the high cost of retail films or outrageous ticket prices at the door. I have my own "movies on demand" system going on at home 24/7 and have hundreds of movie titles to choose from. Let it rain, let it pour. The Futon Cinema is always ready to screen something new or old, and baby, if I haven't watched it before, it's all new to me.

Action!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Tight, tight!


I'm a man who knows how to manipulate the power of the remote.

I can wield a remote with complete and total abandon, making for massive plot holes and abrupt and horrid continuity in any film, big or small. I try not to indulge in using it too often, as I had all too many years of movie watching ruined due to late starts (think popcorn and wide awake kids)and marred by all too many uncertain endings (thank you Bacchus and work related fatique). These days I just get, well, not bored, but restless. Dinner, or wine, or dessert or the net, something lures me downstairs, away from the set. It's odd because if I am watching a movie with a friend, or one of my kids, or with just about anyone it bugs me to no end to break a film in the middle, but since I am on my own to start or stop a movie whenever I want is a sort of freedom that you can't have in a theater or with company.

Tonight I bucked the trend. I found a VHS copy of Zinneman's The Day of the Jackal earlier in the week at Goodwill. Non-descript box, pan and scan. I thought that tonight would be a good night for a thriller, and I was more than pleasantly surprised at what I found. The print was crisp, the editing was so incredibly sharp I thought I would get papercuts from watching it. In a world still caught up post-MTV style the editing in tonights flick turned out to a textbook case for what the new generation of film students need to study and emulate. It was tale that unspooled at a rapid yet lanquid pace. You could follow the story of the cat and the mouse, of the assassin and the police commissioner, pursuing each other without needing to take on a neck brace by the end of the flick from rapid fire editing whiplash. Great acting, tight direction, wonderful location work, the whole ball of wax. Can't recommend it enough.

I found out afterwords that the film is out there in widescreen. Something else to seek out at Hollywood Video, one more film to lay up and store away for a rainy day. Kind of pathetic, in a way, but hey, that film jones of mine just yielded another treasure tonight, a baubble for me and an excuse for you to bug your local librarian to lay in a copy of this stellar thriller. Old school, yes, seventies style paranoia, sure, but timeless and worth your while, believe me. And why should you, you might ask? Well, I never used my remote tonight to stop the film, not once.

Action!

Allmovie review: Day of the Jackal:
http://www.allmovie.com/work/the-day-of-the-jackal-61917

No comments: